Firestorm 50 High-Speed Aluminum Fireboat
The FireStorm 50 High-Speed Aluminum Fireboat is a new generation in fireboat technology. It is a culmination of years of study and research into high volume pumping systems and their effects on a small boat's stability, controllability, dynamic loading and righting moments.
|Max speed||44 kt fully loaded|
|Discharges||3 monitors; 2 discharges; 2 LDH|
|More photos on Flickr|
The FireStorm 50 provides more speed, maneuverability & pumping capacity than any other high speed fireboat in the market today. It is fitted with twin Hale pumps that produced flow meter results of 6665 GPM @ 150 PSI, 7000 GPM @ full stream, from two 3000 GPM Hale pumps. The pumps are situated low in the engine room and are, therefore, self-priming.
High pump numbers are due to the unique MetalCraft Marine proprietary designed sea chests. These sea chests have an intake three times the cross sectional area of the main, can be inspected and cleaned while underway and provides a positive head to the pump, as well as pump redundancy.
The monitor location is central and close to the center of buoyancy of the vessel. This permits the helmsman to pivot the streaming at any angle. The boat's head never blows off its course. Simplicity is the key to the fire system, and is based on fire truck system design for ease of maintenance.
Alexandria VA Fire Department
|Max speed||44 Knots|
|Pumps||2 Hale 3500|
|Discharges||four monitors; Four 5" Stortz|
|Engines||Two CAT [email protected]|
|Jets||Two Rolls Royce FF 37|
|Other||6'5" head room in galley birth area; Exceeds ABS structure; 100 g Fire Fighting Foam; Water level recovery deck; Patient care berth; 13.5 kW gensets; Heated front windshields; Galley includes fridge with freezer, microwave; Head with sink; Breathable air and patient Oxygen; Air conditioned throughout; Hull Strakes; Pushknee; Lifting eyes; Electric tinting overhead windows; Vector joystick controls; Aft helm; Furuno electronics; FLIR camera.|
High pump numbers are due to a unique MetalCraft Marine proprietary designed sea chest.
This sea chest has an intake as large as a firefighter himself. It can be inspected and cleaned while underway and provides a positive head to the pump. It provides a filtered water source to the pump while self draining with the boat on plane.
The monitor location is central for further range and is close to the center of buoyancy. This permits the helmsman to pivot the boat around a high thrust load at full stream while running a low engine rpm, not unlike a towboat.
Operators are amazed at the boat's control under full streaming at any angle. The boat's head never blows off its course.
Simplicity is the key to the FireStorm fire system. Its fire truck-based designs promote easy maintenance and reparability.
All FireStorm fireboats pack a huge punch for their size, and their shallow draft gets them into the smallest of marinas and very close to shore.
* Some exceptions to the NFPA 1925 apply, based on individual specifications.
The Firestorm operates on the Kingston hull design platform. This proprietary design features a delta-pad center planing flat. This provides additional lift resulting a lower trim angle through the pre-planing transition zone, "the hump".
Fireboats are about 25% heavier than a conventional patrol boat because of firefighting equipment and rescue gear. This can cause the planning hull surface area to be marginal, or even too low in the water, to plane at all. A heavy boat with a small water plane causes exaggerated high bow planning angles, and heavier loads on engines reducing their longevity.
MetalCraft Marine's high-efficiency hulls offset the FireStorm's high gear-loads, providing additional speed and better fuel economy. MetalCraft Marine FireStorm fireboats give you speed and performance without compromising the equipment list.
While arriving on-scene faster than most large vessels, FireStorms offers a wide range of specialized rescue features for first or only response.
There are many options to rescue systems offered by MetalCraft Marine, the ones chosen by the Miami-Dade Fire/Rescue are as follows;
The FS-50 is a Class 'B' fireboat but meets Class 'A' pumping and flotation requirements. Under the new NFPA 1925 Rev, 2008, the 50 should be classed as a Type 3 fireboat.
- Roof mounted, remote operated 2000 GPM monitor, Elkhart 8394
- Bow mounted manual 2000 GPM monitor, Elkhart 8394
- LDH 5" Storz connection for supply to land units
- 2x3" or 21/2" capped discharges
- All fire controls and gauges at dedicated console
- Heated and Air Conditioned patient care area with primary patient care berth and two secondary care berths
- Dedicated EMS equipment storage with A/C outlets for battery chargers
- SCBA storage panel and dive tank storage racks, breathable air.
- Shorepower 2x 30 amp
- DIC (12V) Breakers - 16
- A/C (110V) Breakers - 12
- DIC Outlets - 3
- A/C Outlets - 3
- 6.5 Kw Onan genset
- Corrosion Meter
- Cabin, Scene & Spot Lights
- NAV & RIM lights
- Battery charger
- 2 VHF, Radar integrated w/GPS
- GPS, chartplotter w/depth sounder
- Loudhailer/Fog horn
- Emergency lights
- Many available options - FLIR etc.
- Meets NFPA floatation for Class 'A' vessels
- Meets NFPA pumping for Class 'B'
- Meets OSHA Db rating
- USCG CFR 46
- USCG interior flame retardant rating
- American Boating & Yachting Council
- American Bureau of Shipping welding standards
- Chart Table
- COMM Station
- 4x suspension crew seats
- Non skid 24' side decks
- Safety railings with harness brackets
- Anchor Locker
- Dive Platform rated for 25001bs.
- Watertight emergency access hatches
- 5 watertight compartments
- Rubber sound/stress matting
- 5"'D' rubber fendering
- Fully finished interior
- Head w/overboard & deck discharge
- High security engine hatch locks
- High security battery switches & start sequence
- Flat or treadplate aluminum decking
- 5 gallon & 100(x2) gallon foam storage
- Tinted side windows, clear windshields
- Raked forward windshields to reduce glare and improve water clearing
- 2 speed wipers w/washers
- 40,000 BTU cabin heater w/defrost
- Hinged mast w/double height radar arch
- Watertight, integral to roof, electrical boxes w/terminal strip
- Floatable dive/roof ladder
- Push knee with D-rubber
- Ice clearing roof design
- Access to all piping and valves
- All piping concealed
- Desk hose storage locker
- Stokes/background stowage
- Aft steps for level patient care